Resentment is defined as a feeling of indignant displeasure or persistent ill will at something regarded as a wrong, insult, or injury.
Resentment is unresolved anger over a negative event that happened in the past. Is the inabilitiy to let go and forget. It also a for of vitimization for not able to resolve a problem. Resentment can also be the cause of depression.
How Resentment affect our lives
When you feel resentment toward somebody you feel constantly upset in the presence of that person. It creates uneasiness in relationships. You waist time thinking how to get the revenge and make justice. Because resentment is a negative emotions you feel trap in a circle of negativity and hate that can cause depression.
Resentment as Catherine Ponder said: When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.
Steps for releasing resentment
- The first step for managing resentment is identify the reasons of your resentment. Do you feel resentment toward a person or an event?
- What exactly the event or person caused you to feel this resentment?
- Star working on your anger by writing a letter with all the details and reason and then burn it.
- Work on your Self-esteem to stop looking for other’s approval
- Practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is a choice and when you forgive you free yourself from the event or person. Forgiveness is not about the other , is about you.
- Engage in an alternative therapy : Emotional Freedom Techniques, or Self-hypnosis Techniques.
- Think how free will you feel if you let go of the resentment.
Everybody experience resentment specially toward other people when you feel betrayed or frustrated around an event. Resentment is not going to help. If you can practice forgiveness you will free yourself from the past. The person or event will not change, but you will feel free and ready to move on.
Forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself. Keeping resentment and the desire of revenge will take away all your energy. It will make you frustrated and eventually end up with depression. Stop wasting time and energy on anger and resentment. And use that energy to do something for yourself.
selfesteem awareness is supported by our participation in affiliate programs. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We also participate in programs from Clickbank, and other sites. selfesteem awareness is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies.