Last Updated on
A man cannot be made comfortable without his own approval. Mark Twain.
Self-respect means that we are conscious of our self-worth. To develop self-respect means that you like yourself not because of what you can or cannot do, but simply because of whom you are.
Respecting yourself means you have integrity. You know how to choose what is good for you. You know when to say no, you choose the best for you. You know you have value regarding what other people says. You know that you are giving the best you can, you are doing the best you can and you have value just because you are alive.
You keep respecting yourself even if you think you fail . You are tolerant and patient. You are not afraid to make mistakes, you know who you are.
I once heard: “Self respect means listening to your body and emotions continuously. Then acting beyond a linear logic to achieve ones goals”. I would like to share 10 steps you can improve your self-respect
- Forgive yourself. This is key. If you want to respect yourself, you have to forgive yourself for anything you have done in the past. Let go of all the mistakes and things, you regret. If you want to move forward you have to forgive yourself.
- Accept yourself. In order to respect yourself you have feel comfortable in your own skin and love the person you are. It does not matter what you want to change, in order for the change to take place you have to accept yourself first.
- Stop trying to please everyone. When you do things you really don’t want to do just to please somebody you are hurting yourself Be true to yourself and respect what you feel and how you feel.
- Believe in your choices and decisions. If you want to respect yourself, you have to learn to believe in you. Use your intuition always. You can ask for advice sometimes but deep down you know what is best for you.
- Treat yourself with respect. This means, to be honest with yourself, keep your word and do not put yourself down
- Learn to be assertive. When you notice that people disrespect you stop the situation. You can stop people walking over you in a kindly manner. Use always positive communication.
- Practice self-care. In order to respect yourself you have to take care of your health. Respect your body, make an effort to get fit, eat healthy and do exercise.
- Be positive. Your attitude is really important. Even if you are going through a bad period in your life, remain positive. This does not mean that you are denying your reality. It means that you believe in yourself and you know that you can overcome any challenge. For example, if you asked somebody out, don’t say “There is no chance she/he will say yes”. Instead, say: “I would feel so good if she/he accepts my invitation and even if she/he say no, I am proud that I took action.
- Improve yourself. As Tony Robbins always says: If you aren’t growing, you are dying. Progress = Happiness! If you are growing, and giving, you will be happy. If you are moving forward in your life, if you are progressing personally, professionally, emotionally, spiritually—you will be happy. It is only in stagnation that we wilt like a flower.
Therefore, improve yourself in any area you need. Spend more time learning, take a yoga class, learn to manage emotions, learn something new. You will feel fulfill and happy and you will have more respect for yourself.
- Spend time with the people who respect you. If you hang around people that put you down all the time, you will lower your self-respect. Find people who make you good about yourself, treat you with respect and making you feel positive.