3 Ways To Start Taking Care Of Yourself
Very often we forget the importance of self-care. We are busy doing, working and talking care of others that we complete forget that taking care of yourself is the key to a happy and healthy life. So . Let see how you can start taking care of yourself:
1) Take care of your body
In the past I thought that taking care of my body wasn’t important because the spiritual side of myself was the one that I have to focus. I have realized that it is important because if I don’t take care of it , I won’t live healthy.
I have learned to honor, respect , be grateful with my body. Our bodies teaches us what we need, what to eat and when to eat. When to sleep and what kind of exercise we are more comfortable with. And it also teaches us through discomfort that something is wrong with us.
3 ways to take care of your body:
- By listening to your body. Are you hungry?. Eat. If you are not hungry do not eat. Your body will help you also to choose healthy foods and the right foods for you.Drink a lot of water; this will help you to be hydrated. What are healthy foods? Grains, vegetables, fruits, whole wheat, milk, meat, fish, nuts. A good balance of foods is important.
- Taking care of your body by sleeping well. Do you need to sleep?. Just do it. Listen to your body when is telling you to go to bed because it needs to sleep. How many hours do you sleep?. Listen to the messages. Do you sleep too much or too little. To sleep too much or too little might be a sing of depression. Are you depress?. The right amount of hours of sleep depends on the age , generally speaking for most adults. 7 to 8 hours is fine.
- By exercising every day: our bodies need movement. It doesn’t matter the type of exercise you do, lift weights, run, yoga, or walk. According to the experts some of the benefits of exercising are:
- Exercise Improves cardiovascular system.
- Exercising helps to lose weigh and improves the circulatory system.
- Exercising Increases energy and helps people feel better about themselves.
- Exercise tone the muscles and give flexibility.
After exercising we always feel really good about ourselves.
Taking a shower is another way, your body needs it specially after a long day of work. Do your hair, nails, and skin or give yourself a massage. Eat healthy foods and drink a lot of water. Have a general check up with your doctor once a year.
By learning to care about your body it an will help you to have a good self esteem because you will feel energized and comfortable within. The three words are honor, listen, respect. Allow yourself to live healthy by eating, sleeping and exercising right.
A story is told about Hillel, a renowned Jewish teacher
who lived 2,000 years ago.
One day, as he was taking leave of
his disciples, they asked him, “Master, where are you going?”.
He replied, “To do a pious deed.”
They asked, “What might that
And he answered, “To take a bath.”
Because they were curious
as to how something so seemingly mundane could be a pious deed,
“If the statues of the king must be kept clean
by the person to whom they have been entrusted, how much more
is it a duty of a person to care for the body, since we have been
created in God’s image and likeness.”
By Mirka Knaster – Honor
2) Take care of your mind
What is the mind? You don’t find the mind anywhere in the body, you find the brain. Let’s say that the mind is like the software and the body is the hardware. It perceives, thinks, recognizes and experiences and reacts to the environment.
According to the dictionary is defined as:
“The human consciousness that originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination.”
It is responsible of our thoughts and feelings, is the seat of the faculty of reason, is were we remember, judge, held our intentions. How do we develop our mind and specially a healthy one? through meditation. If you take care of your mind you will start feeling good mentally and boost your self esteem. Nurturing your mind is really important for your mental health.
Tips take care of your Mind – Mental health
- Listen to your mind: Do you have negativity and defeating thoughts?. Don’t get hook nor resist them, just skip them. Learn to master your inner talk . Start by becoming aware that you are having these thoughts. Have you ever found yourself making a mistake and thinking: “I am a stupid. I will never get this right”. The only way to master your defeating talk is being aware and taking action in the present moment. Take care of your mental health by mastering your inner talk.
- Self-help books : try to read books that are positive. Read as often as you can and learn from others lives. This habit will help you to stay positive and will empower you.
- Support groups: there are several support groups in the communities that can help you to understand more clearly what is going about your problems.
- Meditation: is one of the best tools you have to master your mind. With meditation you will learn to be still and listen to your thoughts and emotions. Eventually and with practice you will enter the silence. There are several types of meditations. You can start by following your breath, do mindfulness or practice a mantra. Meditate every day at least for 15 minutes. You will get less anxious and more centered.
- Mental health professional if you are overwhelmed or too pessimistic, or even depressed . Go to a therapist and talk about your thoughts and concerns. There are different kind of therapist that can help you to take care of your mental health.
Surround yourself with supportive people that are optimistic and that value and respect you.
Remember to take care of your mind, it is essential for your mental health.
Emotional Intelligence with Daniel Goleman .
Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Ralph Waldo Emerson
3) Take Care of Your Spirit
What is your spirit? Have you ever asked this question? What do you believe? Do you believe that you are a spiritual being having a human experience or that you are a human being having a Spiritual experience?
I was raised to believe that I was a material body, however, through the years I have come to understand more clearly that I am not. I am an spiritual being having a human experience.
How can you take care of your Spirit then? By acknowledging that you are one. By respecting and honoring your spiritual being. I would like to share with you some tips that will help you with this spiritual issue.
Acknowledging your Spirit will help you building your self esteem because you will start to feel good about yourself.
Tips to take care of your Spirit
- Your Spirit lives in your body; let’s say that your spirit expresses though your body in this physical plane. So let your spirit know that you care about.
- Meditation will help you to get in contact with your Spirit, is not the only way as I suggested above, however is the best way to get in contact with it. In meditation you enter the silence. And in silence you have the perfect opportunity to commute with your spirit. You can just be in silence, you can pray, or ask questions and start a relationship with the real you. You can practice any meditation you think is right for you. Like following your breath, reciting a mantra or any another type you know.
- If you take care of your body though eating healthy, exercising, pampering and so on you will feel better spiritually.
- Everything you do to yourself you are doing it to your Spirit. If you are living in a chaotic home, clean it. If you are feeling fat and bad about your body, accept it and then eat the right foods and exercise. If you are tire, take your time and rest and sleep . If you are confused, meditate. If you are angry, try to understand were your anger is coming from and release it. If you are feeling depress, be grateful for the things you have and you will start to feel better.
- You can also just be in silence, pray, contemplate, go to your church or read spiritual books that will nurture you and give you insights
Awareness is the key as well as silence. Now you know how to take care of your Spirit as well as yourself as a whole.